WHY YOU SHOULDN’T BOOK US.
“ALTERNATIVE* WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS”
*modern. non-traditional. creative.
We fall somewhere in between ‘reportage‘ or ‘documentary‘ and ‘contemporary‘ wedding photography.
Ever since I became a wedding photographer, I knew I didn’t want to be shooting anything like the more traditional weddings of the past.
What separates ‘traditional‘ from ‘alternative‘ is how much your photographer will intervene on the day. In the past, photographers were rarely shooting candidly, mainly due to the fact that they were shooting on film which is costly and sometimes limited, so they stuck with a set list of images. They’d get the key moments; a bride having her dress fixed in the morning, the first kiss as a married couple, the cake cutting, stuffy, formal photographs. This meant the photographer had to set up the shots which didn’t reflect the natural flow of the day. And it also wasted a lot of time. Some photographers and videographers will still work this way today but there is really no need. The beauty of the digital age means we have the ability to shoot in quick bursts. So it doesn’t matter if someone blinks; the image before or after mid blink is there too.
The photo above was taken when TJ was walking over to join Amy for a posed portrait. And I ended up preferring the ‘outtake’ more!
“we love you at your most real”
Reportage/ documentary/ natural photography is a relatively new way of photographing weddings. Our aim with documentary photography is to tell a narrative; your wedding day ‘story’. Our aim is to keep it true to how it actually happened. Not cut out all the bits that you might have forgotten had you not the photos as a beautiful reminder. This is the craic for most of the day; we follow you about, lurk in the background and shoot everything as it happens. You’ll spend a good bit of the day with us and we’ll have a chat and a laugh but we also want to take a bit of a step back and let you get on with your day.
Contemporary is really just another way of saying we want to get SOME posed photos of you which are more on the ‘traditional’ side but also, make them more creative. We’re looking for something colourful, moody, abstract etc to get our creative juices flowing. They have a more editorial feel. You’re not always looking directly at the camera with a ‘kill me now’ face but rather, we give you a wee bit of direction to get that perfect mix of creatively posed shots with some super beaut natural moments captured in between.
Enjoy your day, let us take care of the photos.
- Stop you getting ready in the morning to fake you checking yourself out in the mirror.
- Ask your mum to pretend to do up your dress.
- Ask you to re-read the card from your other half for some sort of crazy, fake reaction shot.
- Make you enter and leave the ceremony as though it’s the first time you’re seeing your guests.
- Take you away from your guests for 2 hours whilst leaving your bridal part bored as shit. We need a half hour. Tops.
- Come up with some zaney/ Hollywood/ contrived pose of you looking at the sky, jumping in the air, pretending to take a selfie etc.
- Hang your veil off a tree. Seriously. Don’t ask us to do this. 😂
- Ask you to pretend to cut your cake before you actually, you know, cut your cake. (If you’ve only booked us ’til dinner, we’re more than happy to get a photo of you with your cake though 😎)
DISCLAIMER: WE WILL ALLOW JUMPING IN THE AIR PHOTOS BUT ONLY IF YOU PROMISE IT’S DONE IRONICALLY.